All mental health services should be professionally delivered and sensitive to the needs of diverse cultural and ethnic populations, with every therapist culturally competent.
Nafsiyat provides an Intercultural Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy and counselling service, develops and advances knowledge in this area, and champions good practice.
In all its actions, Nafsiyat will:
- Put its client first, seeking so far as possible to be accessible to anyone with mental health problems irrespective of their cultural background, perceived ethnic origin, religion or linguistic competence
- Value diversity, making it central to the practice of counselling and psychotherapy, and ensuring that our organisation reflects this value
- Be open, accessible and inclusive, responsive to the social realities lived by clients seeking therapy and their unique experiences
- Act with integrity and transparency, while safeguarding client confidentiality
- To benefit clients and the wider community, contributing to a more functional society
- Promote an awareness of the multi layered identities and positions of clients and how these positions interact in complex ways that must be acknowledged and addressed
- Be central to the delivery of quality Intercultural Therapy
- Evidence and research the benefits of Intercultural Therapy
- Be the authority on Intercultural Therapy, take the practice and concept into mainstream practice, and advance the dialogue on intercultural issues in the therapeutic setting
- Increase the number of minority-ethnic and culturally-aware people trained and working in therapeutic roles
- Continue as an independent, well managed, financially and environmentally sustainable Nafsiyat