Nafsiyat is recruiting a Group Therapist
Job title: Group Therapist
Salary: £30,000 (pro-rata)
Annual leave: 33 days inclusive of public/bank holidays (pro-rata)
Hours: 10 hours per week, day/times to be negotiated
Accountable to: Clinical Lead
Base: Nafsiyat Intercultural Therapy Centre / Home working
Nafsiyat exists to reach those who are systemically failed elsewhere in society, isolated by skewed power dynamics which underlie, and/ or intensify, the experience of mental ill health. Nafsiyat was established in 1983 by psychotherapist Jafar Kareem as a grassroots, community-based response to the need in North London-based Black, African, Asian, minoritised ethnic and refugee communities. We were the first therapy centre in the UK to take account of the cultural background of the patient and therapist and recognise its importance in therapy. We exist to ensure that the diverse religious, cultural, and ethnic communities in London can access culturally sensitive psychotherapy and counselling services; we also provide therapy in over twenty languages. Our staff and volunteers come from diverse cultural backgrounds.
You will need to be a qualified and experienced group analytic or psychodynamic therapist registered with the UKCP or BACP and have 3-5 years post qualification experience. We are looking for an experienced Group Therapist to undertake therapy sessions with diverse groups of clients. You need to have an interest in working with client groups and be stimulated by the daily challenges this work brings.
The primary purpose of the post is to:
- – Provide group therapy for clients.
- – Provide individual therapy when needed.
- – Substantial experience of assessment for individual and group psychotherapy, including referral on to other colleagues.
- – Participate in the running of the clinical service.
- – Participate in running trainings/workshops.
- – Provide reflective sessions for external professional/ frontline workers.
- – Participate in an internal supervision group.
- – Deliver psycho-educational groups.
- – Maintain the highest clinical and ethical standards.
- – Maintain the highest clinical administration standards.
Qualifications and experience
– Significant experience in the role of group psychotherapist, including experience of specialist psychoanalytic group psychotherapy in institutional settings, within the NHS or other public/ voluntary sector services.
– A Postgraduate Diploma in group psychotherapy or a /MA/MSc is desirable.
– Registration/accreditation with UKCP/BACP.
– A commitment to working psychodynamically/psychoanalytically/interculturally.
– Minimum 3-5 years’ post-qualification experience as a counsellor/psychotherapist.
– Experience in delivering group interventions within a community therapy service.
– Evidence of continuing professional development.
Skills and abilities
– A thorough grasp and understanding of intercultural principles.
– Excellent interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
– Excellent people management and negotiation skills.
– Computer literate.
– Willing to develop appropriate new services in the organisation.
– Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to make a substantial contribution to clinical discussion and planning.
– Willingness and ability to meet evaluation and monitoring requirements.
– Knowledge and understanding of group dynamics and differences from individual psychotherapy work.
– Extensive knowledge of Nafsiyat’s Intercultural therapy and transcultural therapies.
– A critical awareness of the interconnection of institutional, interpersonal, and internalised oppression.
– An understanding of how these processes of inequities operate at an institutional and systemic level.
– A calm and thoughtful approach to issues of clinical risk.
The post holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to Nafsiyat’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
Health & safety
All employees are subject to the Health and Safety at Work Act. The post holder is required to pro-actively comply with their duties as described in Nafsiyat’s Health and Safety Policy.
All employees are required to work in a confidential manner in all aspects of their work with regard to Nafsiyat‘s Code of Ethics and practice, data protection and other relevant policies.
Nafsiyat is committed to safeguarding adults at risk and children, and we require all staff and volunteers to share and demonstrate this commitment. The successful candidate will have to meet the requirements of the person specification and will be subject to pre-employment checks, including a health check, an enhanced DBS check and satisfactory references.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a CV and cover letter (no more than two pages) detailing your suitability for this position according to the person specification, stating when and where skills and experience were gained.
Email: email@example.com; Deadline: 5pm, August 8th 2022.